What is covered?
Part D is required by Medicare to provide coverage for at least two drugs in each class. Part D must also cover all drugs in these specific classes:
- HIV/AIDS drugs
What is not covered?
The drugs not covered by Part D include:
- Over the counter drugs
- Fertility drugs or drugs for erectile dysfunction
- Hair growth drugs/cosmetic drugs
- Weight loss/gain drugs
If any prescriptions are covered by your Part B plan, then Part D will also not cover those.
Part D Tiers
Part D plans place the drugs they cover into specific tiers. If a drug is in a higher tier, it will most likely cost more than a drug in a lower tier.
- Tier 1: Preferred Generic – low cost preferred generic drugs
- Tier 2: Generic – includes preferred generic drugs
- Tier 3: Preferred Brand – includes preferred brand drugs
- Tier 4: Non-Preferred Brand – includes non-preferred brand drugs
- Tier 5: Specialty Tier – high cost brand and generic drugs
If you are in need of prescription drug coverage through Medicare but are unsure of how to obtain it, give CJC Advisors a call today! We will help you determine if you should purchase Part D as a standalone plan or obtain its coverage through a Medicare Advantage Plan.